United Nations in Afghanistan and COVID-19
The United Nations family in Afghanistan is backing the government’s preparedness, containment and mitigation measures in the fight against COVID-19.
The UN began work in January 2020 to support the response in Afghanistan, even before the first case had been reported in the country. Early work at that time included provision of technical guidance linked to early preparedness, support and facilitation in the development of the National Emergency Response Plan for COVID-19, strategic planning support for implementing risk communication and community engagement and support in fund raising for emergency preparedness.
As of November 2020, the United Nations extensive support, with more than US$50 million received, included the establishment and support to 14 laboratories, provision of half-a-million pieces of personal protective equipment for frontline health workers and the screening of several million persons.
The United Nations remains committed to continue its work as a partner to Afghanistan’s government and its people during this new crisis, which comes in addition to years of conflict, grinding poverty and climate change.
Main Information Resources
- OCHA/WHO - Daily Updates on Afghanistan
- OCHA - Weekly Updates and Situation Reports on Afghanistan
- World Health Organization - Global Information
- United Nations - Global Information
UN Humanitarian Country Plan
- One UN Covid19 ResponseUpdate Infographic Nov 20
- Afghanistan Humanitarian Response Plan 2018 - 2021
- Afghanistan: COVID-19 Multi-Sector Humanitarian Country Plan
Frequently Asked Questions
Personal Protection Guidance
- Afghanistan media contacts
- WHO global media resources
- United Nations global media resources
- UNESCO Media Support Centre for COVID-19
UNAMA Press Releases
- UN ramps up support to Afghanistan’s fight against COVID-19, records first worker case (3 April 2020)
- UNAMA calls on parties to further reduce violence and work towards ceasefire (25 March 2020)
- UN Afghanistan Twitter feed: @UNAfghanistan
- UNAMA Twitter feed: @UNAMAnews
- UNAMA Facebook: English | Dari | Pashto