UNAMA’s vision is for a stable and prosperous Afghanistan that lives at peace with itself and its neighbours, where the Afghan peoples’ human rights are upheld and basic services are available to all.
UNAMA’s mission is to support the people and government of Afghanistan in achieving peace and stability, in line with the rights and obligations enshrined in the Afghan constitution. Based on UNAMA’s comparative advantage, it pursues its mission by:
- Building a culture of peace, including: backing conflict prevention and resolution, as well as peace processes; promoting inclusion and social cohesion; strengthening regional cooperation in support of peace and stability; supporting gender-sensitive peacebuilding and recovery; and the adoption of transitional justice;
- Strengthening the Afghan state by promoting national ownership and accountable institutions that are built on rule of law, good governance, and respect for human rights, and that deliver basic services to the population throughout the country; and
- Achieving greater coherence between Afghan government priorities and international community civilian efforts in the areas of peace, governance and development.
Support efforts to achieve peace and stability in Afghanistan.
- Prepare for and support peace processes between the Government and armed groups;
- Support Afghans to build a culture of peace and social cohesion, by advancing consensus-building and inclusive peace and reconciliation processes and mechanisms at the national and sub-national levels, as well as a victim-centered transitional justice process;
- Advance regional cooperation for the normalization of security, stability, economic integration and development in Afghanistan; and
- Strengthen the protection of civilians, particularly women, children and vulnerable groups.
Support efforts to guarantee the rule of law, accountable governance, and the respect for human rights.
- Advance the Government’s reform of governance and rule of law, including anti-corruption, and Government accountability;
- Improve the credibility, integrity, inclusiveness and sustainability of electoral processes; and
- Assist with the implementation of the human rights provisions of the Afghan Constitution and international treaties to which Afghanistan is a State party.
Lead and coordinate the international community in support of the Government’s priorities to advance peace, governance and development for the benefit of all Afghans.
- Strengthen the coordination and coherence of the international community’s engagement, including policy, strategy and programming, and improve its alignment with the Government’s peace, governance, as well as development priorities, particularly as they relate to economic growth and job creation;
- Improve coordination and coherence between all UN entities in line with ‘One UN’ and in order to maximize their effectiveness; and
- Support sustainable returns of returnees and internally displaced people.